Thursday 20 April 2017

The Results and Seeking of Renewal / Revival

Continuing from yesterday's post about Renewal / Revival....

2.     The Results of Renewal / Revival

These results show why it’s so important and so worth pursuing renewal / revival.

2.1. Renewal / Revival results in rejoicing in the Lord

Psalms 85:6 (ESV) ‘Will you not revive (ḥâyâ) us again, that your people may rejoice in you?’

Psalms 126:1-3 (ESV) ‘1 When the Lord restored (šûḇ) the fortunes of Zion, we were like those who dream. 2 Then our mouth was filled with laughter, and our tongue with shouts of joy; then they said among the nations, “The Lord has done great things for them.” 3 The Lord has done great things for us; we are glad.’

A joyful church is a growing church. Who wants to leave ‘the devil’s party’ for anything less than the joy of the Lord?

2.2. Renewal / Revival results in praying to the Lord

Psalms 80:18 (ESV) ‘Then we shall not turn back from you; give us life (ḥâyâ), and we will call upon your name!’

Sometimes revival breaks out because people are praying and other times there is an even greater release of prayer after the revival has begun.

See Zechariah 12:10-13:1 where God sets His people to praying by pouring out a “Spirit of grace and supplication” as part of the process that opens up the even greater fountain of revival.

2.3. Renewal / Revival results in help from the Lord

Psalms 71:20 (ESV) ‘You who have made me see many troubles and calamities will revive (ḥâyâ) me again; from the depths of the earth you will bring me up again.’ From trouble God revives His people.

 Psalms 138:7 (ESV) ‘Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you preserve my life (ḥâyâ); you stretch out your hand against the wrath of my enemies, and your right hand delivers me.’ Revival is God’s preservation in times of trouble.

Psalms 143:11 (ESV) ‘For your name's sake, O Lord, preserve my life (ḥâyâ)! In your righteousness bring my soul out of trouble!’ Revival is God’s deliverance out of troubles.

2.4. Renewal / Revival results in outreach for the Lord

Psalms 51:12-13 (ESV) ‘12 Restore (šûḇ) to me the joy of your salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit. 13 Then I will teach transgressors your ways, and sinners will return to you.’

God’s restoration and revival in the life of king David would result in David doing outreach and bringing sinners to the Lord.

3.     The Seeking of Renewal / Revival

Isaiah 57:15 (ESV) ‘For thus says the One who is high and lifted up, who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy: “I dwell in the high and holy place, and also with him who is of a contrite and lowly spirit, to revive (ḥâyâ) the spirit of the lowly, and to revive (ḥâyâ) the heart of the contrite.”’

Basically what we need to do to seek revival is to get down before God (“lowly” which is repeated twice). Inwardly (“spirit” and “heart”) and penitently (“contrite”).

3.1. This inward, penitent lowliness comes from the Spirit who convicts of sin.

John 16:8 (ESV) “And when he (the Holy Spirit) comes, he will convict the world concerning sin…”

3.2. It also comes from suffering, if we let the Lord teach and discipline us.

Job 40:3-4 (ESV) ‘3 Then Job answered the Lord and said: 4 “Behold, I am of small account; what shall I answer you? I lay my hand on my mouth.’ Job 42:5-6 (ESV) “5 I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear, but now my eye sees you; 6 therefore I despise myself, and repent in dust and ashes.”

3.3. And it come from our decision to obey Scripture

(The “therefore” refers to a decision to obey God’s Word in Proverbs 3:34.)
1 Peter 5:5-6 (ESV) ‘5….Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.” 6 Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you.’



No comments:

Post a Comment